[rollei_list] Re: Nikon Coolscan 9000 Information Quest

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 16:24:07 -0400

> Hi Frederic
> There is a useful yahoo group 'coolscan8000-9000' that you should sign up to
> and find out pretty much everything you might need to know (and more) on
> using
> this scanner.
> The one essential tip I can offer if you are to buy this scanner is to get
> the
> glass holder as well - its really a waste of time otherwise as your scans
> will
> be noticeably soft on the edges if the film is anyway bowed.
> Unfortunately (and this applies to all scanners) for black and white work as
> you won't have ICE its a real pain getting very clean scans.
> rgds
> Chat

I¹ve used the smaller Coolscan with the same engine. The 5000.
its right here beside me.
I print with an Epson 3800 which is the standard of the industry.
I do both fine art and commercial photography. And Photojournalism I guess
as
well.
I have 40 years darkroom experience. At least 10 inkjet.

MOST the people I know in black and white darkroom never printed the way
they¹d have have liked to. Maybe if they had ³the time² or took another
class...
Their work didn¹t look like what they saw in the magazines or coffee table
books.
or what they saw of real silver prints from their friends or up on the walls
of galleries. If they ever visited one.

BUT inkjet prints they were able to make prints which really looked as good
as they could get.
YOU just can't skimp on paper you need to use the high priced spread.
and the slow speed settings.

I¹ve been using Moab Paper made in Utah with windmills.
before that Hahnemühle - The Art of Expression since 1584. Matt.
Made in sunny Germany

AMAZING darkroom paper was never made in 100% rag like inkjet paper can be.

Since 1584!
Ilford was not around then.

Many of my darkroom prints have been supplanted by better versions done on
inkjet. But sometimes no.

While in black and white you still expect to see darkroom prints on a
gallery opening wall this will change in very few years.
Like it already has with color.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com