[rollei_list] Re: Nikon Coolscan 9000 Information Quest

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 14:33:56 -0600

Hi Frederic,

> From: <fre@xxxxxxx>
> Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 17:15:15 +0200
>
> Hi,
> I am considering buying a Nikon Coolscan 9000 ED, to scan my 120-film
> I produce with my rolleiflex SL66E.
> I have some questions on this piece of equipment :
>
> - Does someone have any experience and tips?
> - What is the difference between a scanned black/white , and the
> print you get in the dark room? Is there a big difference?
> - Other info would be nice too...
>
> Kind regards,
> Frederic

I have little direct experience with the Nikon 9000 ED, but know it is a
good piece of equipment. I have been scanning since about 1985, so I do
have a response to your inquiry that may differ from some of the others.

There are at least 3 printing methods to compare:
* Optical on photo print material (darkroom)
* Digital on photo print material (e.g. Lightjet, Frontier, etc.)
* Digital printed on paper (typically inkjet)

They all have a distinctly different look, with strengths and limitations
that take a while to learn. My preference for printing digital images is
to use a Lightjet or Frontier to image onto photo print material. These
use a laser to write the image onto the same paper that one might use in a
darkroom, that is then chemically processed, so the end result is more
visually similar to a darkroom print, especially for black/white work.
However, it requires a good deal of experience working with digital media
to control this process, and it can be expensive.  ;-)

Inkjet prints are OK, but to my eye, they look "flat" in comparison to the
other two methods. For black/white, the best results are obtained by using
special multi-tonal black inks, which usually means that the printer will
be pretty much dedicated to printing black/white.

All things considered, I don't think that scanning, editing, and printing
black/white offers much in the way of time savings over the traditional
darkroom for some prints. The trade-off is that the options for tweaking
an image are far greater, with some things that just can't be done with
optical printing.

Best,

Neil