[rollei_list] Re: New Haven pizza photos

  • From: John Jensen <jwjensen356@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 09:38:54 -0700 (PDT)

Jon's Googling raised my curiosity so I did the same.
Here is some more information via Google that may
bring the date even earlier and credits Totonno but
also Lombardi's in NYC.:

New York City is the undisputed birth place of pizza
in America. But the history of New York pizza is in
itself, one big dispute, beginning with who was the
first pizza maker.

Pizza arrived in Little Italy thanks to Gennaro
Lombardi. Lombardi arrived in New York City in 1897
and opened a grocery store at 53 1/2 Spring Street. In
1905, he began serving pizza out of his store. But it
wasnâ??t until the end of WWII that pizza became more
widely popular, thanks in part to the return of
soldiers who had enjoyed Italian pizza firsthand. The
current Lombardiâ??s is a few doors down from the
original location on Spring Street, and uses a 100
year-old coal burning brick oven, one of the few
grandfathered into Manhattanâ??s fire code.

Everyone may agree that Lombardiâ??s is the oldest
pizzeria in New York City, but not everyone agrees on
who invented pizza in New York City, in particular,
the folks at Totonnoâ??s. Totonnoâ??s opened in 1924
on Coney Island. According to the Totonno family,
Anthony â??Totonnoâ?? Pero worked at Lombardiâ??s
grocery and was the one making the pizza, not
Lombardi, making Totonno New Yorkâ??s first "Master
Pizziolas.â?? While we may never know for certain
whether it was Lombardi or Totonno baking New York's
first pizzas, there is no disputing the fact that
Totonnoâ??s is the oldest continuously operating
pizzeria in the U.S. run by the same family.