[rollei_list] Re: New Haven pizza photos

  • From: John Jensen <jwjensen356@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 14:24:33 -0700 (PDT)

Not all pizza chains are necessarily bad.  It depends
on the size of the chain.  In the SF Bay Area we have
a small chain called Amici's (now 7 restaurants).  It
was started in San Mateo (where I live) by an ex-NY
Jewish boy who was constantly complaining that he
could not find here a decent pizza.  So, he opened his
own place with a wood fired brick oven and Amici's is
doing quite well.  Not as good as a real NY pizza (one
radio commentator referred to it as "Best pizza west
of New York") but the best I've had out here (I'm
originally from the northeast).

Getting the subject back to things German, one of the
best Italian pizzas I've had was from a restaurant in
a small countryside town north of Stuttgart.  It was
made in a brick oven (clay on the outside) with a huge
wood fire.  The pizzas would get tucked away at the
edge of the oven away from the fire.  Terrific.

JJ