[rollei_list] Re: Marvin Wallace and I Disagree

  • From: "Marvin Wallace" <Marvin0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:01:46 +0800

Marc,
As part of my photography degree, I have seen thousands of negatives such as
at the national film and photography museum in Bradford England. This was
because we were given privileged access, and as I recall the best certainly
didn?t crop regularly.
I agree with both Ansel Adams and my old teacher John Blakemore perhaps the
finest black and white photographer alive today, cropping is a "half arsed"
approach to photography, get the negative right both in exposure and ratio
and it is then a dream to print, and anything else is a damage limitation
exercise.
Adams, idea was that each stage of photography should be a finely and
delicate performance, to produce high quality and consistent results.
I am amazed, why anyone would spend money on a great machine like a Rollei
and then have a "half arsed" approach that surely is more conducive with a
Kodak fun camera.

This was the basis of Adams approach, I think he is right.

Eric,
lets consider a portrait done on say my Mamiya 6 razor sharp 150mm lens. Not
much close focus capacity, it's a 6 x 6 camera. Now say I display this next
to a portrait done on my Nikon FM2 with 85 mm lens with a much greater close
focusing capacity. Now there will be a world of difference between the two
photographs even if cropped so as to appear the same ratio, if you cant see
that well....and that?s not even taking into account sharpness etc...so and
in conclusion I totally disagree with you that one can't see the differences
in prints displayed together taken with different cameras. Maybe its true of
yourself, but you are not speaking for me.