[rollei_list] Re: Marvin Wallace and I Disagree

  • From: "Gene Johnson" <genej2ster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 19:03:36 -0700

35mm film has a useable area 24mm wide x 36 mm long, give or take a little.
So, it is a bit on the long and narrow side. Roughly a 2:3 aspect ration in
the viewfinder. Your image can be made from as little or as much of it as
you like.  I completely agree with the necessity of composing in your
viewfinder.  That is a very important part of what separates photographers
from everyone else with a camera.  But to conclude that the finished image
MUST be the same size and shape as what you see in your viewfinder is to be
a slave to our equipment. Your "vision" need not include everything on the
negative.  Sometimes, we make something greater by taking away from it what
is not needed.  I'll agree that the small size of 35mm negatives pushes us
to be efficient with the use of film area. No problem there.  But if a
waterfall or a nude fits a 4:5 aspect ratio more aesthetically than a 2:3
then why not print what we "see" instead of what the camera "sees"?  What
I'm arguing for here is your artistic freedom.

--
Be Just and Fear Not