[rollei_list] Re: Marvin Wallace and I Disagree

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 20:00:24 -0500

At 07:27 PM 9/24/2008, Marc Small wrote, in part:
Cropped photos are life. I cannot comprehend the sort of anal-retentive mindset which demands that all pictures be printed full-frame. It just does not work that way. Any one who has spent time in a dark room has experienced the process of just HOW to crop a decent negative. A lot of poor pictures produce a great cropped image.

Marc

I never knew cropping could be such an emotional subject. I never think about it, I just do it, both in the camera and later, as the mood strikes me.

I wonder how all the famous painters of the past decided how to crop their paintings. Was it a result of the size of the canvas they could afford, the dimensions of the wall or ceiling they were working on, the size of frames available (if there were ready-made frames), or what?

DAW