[rollei_list] Re: Idle Thoughts on the US Memorial Day

  • From: ERoustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 10:02:12 -0400

You guys are reminding me of my almost military career. I kept telling the recruiter I'm a native Arabic speaker, and he kept telling me about the great opportunity available in helicopter circuit board maintenance. A disconnect that still puzzles me - the provincial nature of the business end of the greatest power on the planet puzzles me to no end. That was back in 1989 or 90. Patriotism does not require a uniform, and there's more than one way to earn the right to speak up against insanity. Some of us would have made lousy soldiers anyway.

My father served his country - the only one of his many brothers to do so, and not pay off the government in exchange for his commitment (they used to do that over there). So I've been taught by good example, and my hat's off to you all, and Amen Rob.

E.

On May 27, 2008, at 8:37 AM, Robert Lilley wrote:

The one great thing about being a veteran is that you can say anything you want about current conflicts, etc - you have earned the right. My father landed in Normandy, I am a Vietnam Vet and all three of my boys have served in Iraq. We are all apposed to this country's presence in Iraq. My father and I never joined the VFW or the Legion nor will my kids. We are proud of our service and feel that the real patriot steps up when he is needed, not just on July 4th and that joining the military is not a political or social
statement.  The voting booth and the guy next to us is what/who we
fought/fight for. We pray that all our service men stay out of harms way
and come home soon!

Rob Lilley