[rollei_list] Re: Idle Thoughts on the US Memorial Day

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 19:51:51 -0400

At 07:25 PM 5/28/2008, Jerry Lehrer wrote:

>Marc,
>
>My family's distinguished military history started with my Uncle Josef..
>At ELEVEN years old he was
>the drummer boy  on the lead Russian battleship in the Battle of
>Tsushima Straits, in the Russo-Japanese
>War of 1905.  His ship was sunk, but he made it back to Vladivostok

Well, Jerry, and which ship might that have been? I'd have to dig a bit but I believe that the leading battleship was not sunk or even severely damaged but went on to surrender two days later, later to be returned to the Tsar in 1915. But I'd have to dig. If you give me the name of the ship, I can tell you a bit more.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!