[rollei_list] Re: Idle Thoughts on the US Memorial Day

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 17:59:14 -0400

At 08:37 AM 5/27/2008, Robert Lilley wrote:
>The one great thing about being a veteran is that you can say anything you
>want about current conflicts, etc - you have earned the right.  My father
>landed in Normandy, I am a Vietnam Vet and all three of my boys have served
>in Iraq. We are all apposed to this country's presence in Iraq.  My father
>and I never joined the VFW or the Legion nor will my kids.  We are proud of
>our service and feel that the real patriot steps up when he is needed, not
>just on July 4th and that joining the military is not a political or social
>statement.  The voting booth and the guy next to us is what/who we
>fought/fight for.  We pray that all our service men stay out of harms way
>and come home soon!

Rob

My direct family have been in the service of this country and of its predecessor colonies since at least The War of Jenkins Ear. I had a third-great-grandfather who was a double veteran, having served in the Revolutionary War and then re-upped in his 70's for the War of 1812. No one was ever drafted, no one was ever wounded or killed or captured. We were a stolid lot and just served. None of us ever suffered horrible illnesses, though a great-great-grandfather was discharged in 1864 from the 52nd Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry at City Point in Hopewell, Virginia, about ten miles or so from where I now live. He had pneumonia. But, then, he was 64 and had served three years as a rifleman. Two great-uncles volunteered in WWI. My father was a Prewar volunteer for WWII. My draft number was 327 but I signed up. We are al idiots and fools.

I am not certain just what it means to be "apposed" to the war in Iraq. I regard George W. Bush as a relatively decent President but I find his fixation on South-East Asia rather bizarre and unseemly. But now it seems as if John McCain will be our next President, although the only other alum of his college, Canoe U. to become Chief Executive, Jimmy Carter, is arguably the worst President the US has ever had to endure.

As you note, us Vets can shoot off our mouths and do so with impunity.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!