[rollei_list] Re: Electronic Film

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 13:15:19 -0500

At 01:19 PM 10/4/2010, Dirk-Roger wrote, in part:
Hi,

why does nobody takes again the idea of the electronic film?

http://www.techstoryteller.com/SiliconFilmOverview.pdf

With technologies of today, one could produce a full frame sensor, make the distance between film-roll and window flexible and here you are: You would have a nice piece to fit to your SLR.

I have to agree with some of the subsequent postings. Just too many electronic and mechanical interface requirements. Even if someone proceeded with that idea, they would have a very small market, have to design for an incredible number of camera designs, and they could never compete with the prices of even the top-of-the-line digitals on the market now.

Sad but true. There are cameras on the market now that do accept legacy lenses but the legacy lenses don't have the secondary optics to make the image presented to each pixel in the sensor come in at a 90 degree angle. (I know this is a question in contention, but Olympus sure makes a case for it- "Digital Lenses".)

DAW