[rollei_list] Re: Contrast and Resolution

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:50:11 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter J Nebergall" <iusar4s@xxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2007 8:52 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Contrast and Resolution

I started reading PP and Modern in 1964. I was ten. I remember reading of "resolution," and how distortions decreased as the lens stopped down, and I verified this through my old Praktiflex with manual 58mm Biotar. I
could see it improve.

What I didn't quite comprehend was "lines per millimeter." I could get the concept, and that a Summicron gave you more of them than an old Auto-Sekor or Xenon, but exactly how were they computed? I know it's like todays "DPI" for digitals... but I was taught the Summicron and the old Goerz Dagor were rulers of the roost. I still have them, and using them makes me wonder, every time I look at Mom's D2 work, why it is "unsharp." But how was a lens' resolution in "lines per mm" computed?

Peter Nebergall

Resolution is mesured directly, not computed. To be correct, the measurement is line pairs per millimeter or inch for old measurements. A line pair is one black and one white line. To make things more confusing scanned systems, like television, are measured differently although resolution is still stated in lines. The usual method of measuring resolution is to use a test chart. A number of these have been devised but the most often used one is the United States Air Force chart. This is composed of a number of patterns including a group of graduated resolution patterns consisting of five black separated by four white lines. In order to get the chart image to be the right size it is photographed from a distance of a certain multiple of focal lengths (forgot the number at the moment). This distance is enough to get the image into the field where a lens corrected for infinity will not suffer from loss of correction from a close target. A complete test requirs either several targets in an array to cover the entire field of the lens or several photographs with the target in different locaations in the frame to accomplish the same thing. A series of tests should be made at different f/stops. The chart can also be used to provide a target for examining the aerial image using a high quality microscope. For this kind of test the lens, or entire camera where that is more convenient, is mounted on a fixture of some sort, ideally an optical bench. Target is viewed through the microscope. The advantage of this method is that it eliminates the variables that affect a photographic measure where the entire camera and means of focus are actually being tested along with the film characteristics. One may want such a test but it is not an entirely valid one where only the lens performance is to be compared. A more modern test requires the use of an automatic target and aerial image sensor. This set up can measure the resolution at a given point on the image and automatically plot it as an MTF chart. Since lens performance varies with image angle measurements made at off-axis points of the field are absolutely necessary to characterize a lens. Because some aberrations are affected by both angle and f/stop a complete series of tests must be made for both different angles and different stops. As a mentioned in another post MTF data can be plotted in a couple of different ways. When complete plots are supplied such charts can provide a good idea of the performance of a lens, although they do not give any information about some important characteristics such as geometric distortion or illumination. Also, while resolution is important the MTF charts do not, in general, separate the effects of various aberrations on the image, they just indicate whether resolution is good or poor. Chromatic effects require a series of MTF measurements made with monochromatic light. Film resolution: MTF or resolution charts made by photographing test targets are affected by the film resolution and presense or absense of edge/border effects. To know this it is necessary to test the film, which is a non-trivial measurement. A suitable test target must be provided and insurance that its image is sharp on the film. Kodak measured resolution by means of a special camera, which has been described in the literature. A lens with a resolution of over 500 lp/mm was designed for this system. Sometime around the early 1950's it was discovered that this lens did not perform according to its design and another lens was designed and made. All current products were re-measured and the resolution of all Kodak film products was changed accordingly. The effect was to increase the resolution values in most cases. The camera, or fixture, used was made of pretty much solid metal and very rigid. Its been a very long time since I read the details of this device and don't remember, for instance, how the film was kept flat. I think they may have coated glass plates for testing. When a test is made photographically the resulting images are a combination of lens and film characteristics. While the rule of thumb is to calculate the average of the two or to use the root-mean-square of the two resolution numbers this is not really accurate. Two MTF curves must be cmbined using a method called convolution where every point on both plots is combined. Where the resolution of film and lens are similar the resulting measure will be about half the value of either. However, while the two can be combined its difficult to separate them except approximately. Both film and lens resolution measurements made using the usual three or five line test chart suffer from an effect similar to aliasing in scanned systems which produces false resolution. This effect is present for both visual and photographic measurements. It is sometimes difficult to determine whether one is seeing actual or false resolution tests made using more than one kind of chart will help identify the effect. Where a chart shows a lens to have more than the theoretical limit of resoution it should be suspected that there is false resolution taking place. There are applications where lens resolution is extrememly important, for instance in the step and repeat printers used for making semiconductors, however, for general photographic purposes resolution is only one of several characteristics which result in pleasing performance. As an example, Mamiya lenses have a general reputation for being very sharp. However, it may be that the cameras they are used with have very good focus accuracy and film flatness. Both may be true, but to make tests of different lenses which are mounted in different cameras and attribute the differences exclusively to the lenses is a serious error.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx