[rollei_list] Re: Contrast and Resolution

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 07:22:27 -0600

Hi Jerry,

> Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 08:17:05 -0800 (PST)
> From: Jerry Friedman <tinycameraco@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Neil
>
> Perhaps it would help if you recalled the astigmatism test
> you had at your optician. You were shown two crossing
> lines, of equal resolution but differing in terms of
> contrast. As the lenses, and their rotation,  put before
> each eye changed, the lines looked increasingly different
> --not in terms of actual resolution-- but in terms of
> relative contrast. This is probably the best example I can
> think of illustrating how clarity of image might be the
> same (resolution) while they still might appear vastly
> different to the eye.
>
> In my case, I have found that Zeiss lenses produce "better
> images" which, for me, means greater contrast. Hence, my
> fondness for some Tessars. Tessars may have poorer
> resolution in the corners, but, for me, the increased
> contrast at the center more than carries the load.
>
> Jerry Friedman

Thanks for your above analogy. I don't think that I presented the nature
of my confusion very clearly and for that I apologize, as it has led to
explanations of that which I do understand, such as a preference for
higher contrast images even if they have lower resolution. I was
considering the question of the relationship between contrast and
resolution independent of the additional variable of perception, which I
now understand as an unwritten "given" and in that context the matter is
clear to me.

Best regards,

Neil