[rollei_list] Re: Contrast and Resolution

  • From: Peter J Nebergall <iusar4s@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 22:52:28 -0600

I started reading PP and Modern in 1964.  I was ten.  I remember reading
of "resolution," and how distortions decreased as the lens stopped down,
and I verified this through my old Praktiflex with manual 58mm Biotar.  I
could see it improve.

What I didn't quite comprehend was "lines per millimeter."  I could get
the concept, and that a Summicron gave you more of them than an old
Auto-Sekor or Xenon, but exactly how were they computed?  I know it's
like todays "DPI" for digitals...  but I was taught the Summicron and the
old Goerz Dagor were rulers of the roost.  I still have them, and using
them makes me wonder, every time I look at Mom's D2 work, why it is
"unsharp."  But how was a lens' resolution in "lines per mm" computed?

Peter Nebergall

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 16:42:00 +0000 aghalide@xxxxxxx writes:
Somewhere in my "stuff" I have a collection of lens-test kits I stuck
away for future viewing. They include one from the NBS (national bureau
of standards) charts of high and low contrast, Modern Photography
magazine Kit with only high contrast targets, Dutch Foto magazine
targets, and others.
I remember the problem we hade at Modern was translating the resolution
to practical info.
Different focal lengths had different translation for excellent, very
good, etc. The first two or three lens openings had tougher designations,
as were the last two or so openings. Longer focal lengths
on larger  formats were also more forgiving, I think. We shot tests
without the camera shutter, using only the variation of light to test the
lens openings. So shutter shake was not possible. Also, tests were made
at 20X the lens focal length, when possible. Since our test lab was
limited in size sometimes we  had to use 15X focal length.
My recollection goes back to 1966 when I left Modern Photography and was
finished testing lenses for publication. We viewed the results of each
test with a 20x lupe (microscope) of excellent quality.
Them's were the days.   Ed  Meyers
-------------- Original message from Richard Knoppow
<dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>: --------------

image
> angle for several values of f/stop. Another way is to plot the curve as
> frequency response curve, that is, frequency or lines vs: contrast
ratio with
> curves or charts for several values of f/stops and image angles .
> Both types of plot will show two curves for image angles greater than
zero
> because the effect of diffraction is different for radial and
tangential lines.
> This is caused by the distortion of the stop when viewed at an angle.
Beyond the