[rollei_list] Re: Contrast and Resolution

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 22:31:15 -0500

At 09:56 PM 11/8/2007, Choiliefan@xxxxxxx wrote:
In what ways, if any does refraction affect this as the lens is stopped down?
This distribution of energy must give individual lenses their signature bokeh then, no?
I'm trying to get a grasp on this...
Health, Peace
Lance
Selma, NC 27576

I am no fan of "bo-ke" or whatever it is, and find it so much gibberish though a lot of you guys seem to lead your lives in search of it.

Many lenses actually lose the ability to resolve details when stopped down. This is a really touchy issue and varies greatly from lens design to lens design. One example: the early 1.5/5cm CZJ Sonnar lenses for the Contax only stopped down to f/11. As lens coating was adopted, this was extended to f/16 and then to f/22. I suspect that an uncoated lens would have produced really muddy images when stopped down to, say, f/22.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!