[rollei_list] Re: Contax Repair

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 15:01:29 -0400

At 02:40 PM 5/9/2010, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>    The Contax shutter is a very complex mechanism. I don't
>think there is any truth to the rumor that it was designed
>to get around the Leitz patents for the Leica, it seems to
>be based on the earlier Mirroflex shutter. However, its much
>more complex than the Leica, which to me is an elegant and
>very reliable bit of machinery. The Contax also has some
>other areas which are more complex than the Leica  such as
>the rangefinder. Its a very good design which in some ways
>makes the leica one seem crude, but, its more delicate.

Richard

I would dispute your use of the word "delicate". From the late 1930's up to the late 1950's, hard-country expedition photographers and war correspondents left the Leica at home and took along a Contax II to record things. The first 35mm camera on Mount Everest was a Contax, along with a Prewar Retina 119: no one dared to take a Leica there for another thirty years, though a Rolleflex TLR was the in '53 and the Rollei 35 made it high in '73. .

I have overhauled both Leica TM and Contax RF BM camera shutters, and the Prewar Contax shutter is a lot simpler than you indicate, though it is a bit more complex than that on the LTM bodies.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!