[rollei_list] Re: Contax Repair

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 11:40:40 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jan Decher" <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 09, 2010 9:49 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Contax Repair

Carlos, Hauke etc.

I will reserve my judgement of Eddy's work until I get my Contessa and Contaflex I back from him hopefully this week. The Contessa whent back to him because the latching mechanism on the fold-down lens door was very stiff when it came back the first time (it was latching buttery smooth before!). I included the (like new looking) Contaflex I for a shutter overhaul with some trepidation. It remains to be seen how he is with Compur shutters etc. or if his forte is really prewar Contax/Kievs. He is friendly, calls me to clarify things (for example, I had asked in my letter to rotate the distance scale ring on the Contaflex I so that the meter scale is up, which confused him...) and his pricing is reasonable.

I agree with Thor that even the best repair(wo)man may not be able to forsee what might be going wrong with a 50+ year old camera next. Also, I remember even in the 60's my grandfather's Contaflex Super in Germany was in the Zeiss/Voigtlander repair shop more than not (repair prices even then were quite outrageous). Zeiss cameras are delicate machines. Which is why he eventually made a happy move to sesible Japanese technology with the Canon Ftb with lots of Canon and Novoflex accessories. In fact, my grandfather's experience may be symbolic for what was wrong with Zeiss by the late 60s.
Jan

From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
I don't know why Eddy Smolov is not mentioned as Zeiss Ikon Contax repairman, except when Marc, Daniel and Raid recommended him to me two years ago. He did a great work on my Contax II, I sent the camera to NYC , about 20,000 km considering both travels and I received it ready to work three weeks later. He did not do an aesthetic work on the camera, but shutter speeds, focusing mechanism, telemeter and lens came back very clean, and working accurate and smooth and for a very
reasonable price.....

The Contax shutter is a very complex mechanism. I don't think there is any truth to the rumor that it was designed to get around the Leitz patents for the Leica, it seems to be based on the earlier Mirroflex shutter. However, its much more complex than the Leica, which to me is an elegant and very reliable bit of machinery. The Contax also has some other areas which are more complex than the Leica such as the rangefinder. Its a very good design which in some ways makes the leica one seem crude, but, its more delicate. It is amazing to me that machines like both the Contax and Leica have survived and are still being used daily despite some of them being over seventy years old. This is also true of Compur and Compound shutters, most of which were very rugged and will work nearly like new with some care in maintainence.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA