[rollei_list] Re: An Embarrassing Omission by the List Owner

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 15:34:52 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2007 7:25 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: An Embarrassing Omission by the List Owner

The context of what low contrast means pre and post war is important
to keep in mind...

Prewar, Sonnars were famous for their "bite" with relatively few glass to air surfaces but by post-war standards we would not view them as having good contrast. And yes Ed prewar, all fine lens makers apotized for resolution and not contrast, because contrast sans coatings could only be taken so far. This is why the Zeiss paper I mentioned in a previous post was such a turning point not only for that marque but most others who followed suite... the day contrast became king...

Eric Goldstein

I suspect the low contrast is just plain flare due to internal haze. It doesn't take much of this to destroy the contrast of a lens. Fortunately, it cleans off with any ordinary lens cleaner or alcohol, the problem is getting access to the internal surfaces. Some lenses are pretty easy to disassemble, some a bear. I don't know how the Sonnar is assembled. Some Zeiss Tessars have back caps on the front cell, these are very easy to get open. Others have a front retaining ring. These need a friction wrench. Its possible to make one from a bit of tubing the right diameter with a ring of sticky rubber cemented to the edge. Either front of back element will automatically center when the mount is re-assembled. I don't know the source of the haze but suspect it may be something evaporated from the anti-reflection paint inside the cell. I have also encountered some very old lenses with what appears to be soot inside. This also cleaned off easily and left no damage but I have no idea what caused it.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx