[rollei_list] Re: An Embarrassing Omission by the List Owner

  • From: aghalide@xxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 15:17:13 +0000

I think preWWII Zeiss lenses did have low contrast and high resolution. Post
WWII Zeiss, in my tests showed lower resolution and high contrast. But they all
make terrific photos, placed in the right hands. It's like the Xenar vs the
Tessar in the Rollei.  Ed Meyers

-------------- Original message from Peter J Nebergall <iusar4s@xxxxxxxx>:
--------------

Staying with that idea, I have two 50mm Sonnar 1.5 lenses for Contax.  One is a
coated Opton, and the other an uncoated prewar piece.  The coated one has been
as good for me as my Summicrons, and of course faster.  The uncoated one is
sharp but very low contrast....  Is this design, or just the usual taphonomic
considerations of an old lens...?

P.J. Nebergall

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 16:22:19 +0000 aghalide@xxxxxxx writes:
boy did I mess up. I meant to say that we didn't publish high-contrast lenses
because we tested for resolution, not contrast. later on the tests were also
for contrast, as well as resolution. Zeiss Contarex lenses proved to be
wonderful. Of course the geared down mirror reduced mirror shake which also
added to the sharpness in this case. Still own the Contarex and three lenses of
the 1960s.  Ed Meyers

-------------- Original message from slobodan dimitrov
<s.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxxxx>: --------------