[rollei_list] Re: An Embarrassing Omission by the List Owner

  • From: Mike Kovacs <mskovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 06:13:02 -0500

What I've never understood is why Guy Fawkes' Day is not observed in Canada. We're as British Empire as the Kiwis and Ozzies.

Marc James Small wrote:
I was most remiss in failing to wish those of our members who reside within the British Empire a happy Guy Fawkes' Day earlier today.

Remember, remember, the Fifth of November,
The Gunpowder Treason and PLOT!
I know of no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot.

Yes, I realize that most villages in the UK no longer allow bonfires or the burning of papal effigies and that New Zealand no longer permits any sort of rocket-powered fireworks and that Australia shifted the entire event over to the Queen's Birthday in June some years back to avoid setting brushfires. Back in the day, Cecil Beaton used to travel around smaller British hamlets photographing the Guy Fawkes' festivities on his Rolleiflex TLR's, so there is at least a tangential on-topic note here!

A penny for the Old Guy! Although the New Pence is worth 2.4 of the old Pence, so perhaps the plea should know be, "forty percent of a penny for the Old Guy!" Alas, but there are no New Ha'pennies or New Farthings or the like!

In any event, I trust you all had your fill of Black Treacle, Black Peas with Vinegar, and that most estimable of culinary delectations, Groaty Pudding and have trundled off to bed by now, having salved the burns you got from your illegal bonfires with aloe-based creams!

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!