[rollei_list] Re: 4x5

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2015 19:26:43 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 03, 2015 5:35 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: 4x5

Thanks, Richard, interesting history.

As you mentioned, the small changes in these designs was to get around patent issues, such as Lietz did with the Elmar. Still, the Elmar is a
tessar-type, just as the angulon is a dagor type.

Of course, if you bought a license as B&L did to produce the Tessar,
then you did not have to play this game...

Eric Goldstein

Of course B&L was a special case. Before WW-1 Germany faced heavy import duties on her products so Zeiss arranged for companies in several countries, The U.S., France, England and I think some others, to produce Zeiss products under license. In the U.S. B&L was the licensee for Zeiss and for Deckel for shutters. When the U.S. entered the war all properties belonging to the enemy countries were seized by the Enemy Property Angency (I may have this name slightly wrong). Following the war this property was mostly returned but B&L found they could continue manufacturing Zeiss design lenses and Deckel design shutters (Compur and Compound) without license. Before the war B&L products had a sort of triangular trade mark indicating the two other companies it was licensed by. Deckel was not one of these and I am drawing a complete blank on the other beside Zeiss. There had been a similar arrangement for Goerz but the Goerz U.S. company became independant. In fact, Goerz American stressed for years that it was an AMERICAN company, perhaps because of the stong anti-German feeling here following the war. FWIW, B&L had been experimenting on a small scale in the manufacture of optical glass and this operation became of very great value during the war. Its been a long time since I studied this history and my memory slips details, probably all come back at 3AM.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles