[rollei_list] Re: 4x5

  • From: Chris Burck <chris.burck@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2015 22:50:21 -0600

Thor,

Your RF most likely just needs an adjustment.  Either the following cam,
mirror, or prism has gotten out of proper alignment, or more likely, all of
them.  Take another look at where the following cam attaches to the pivot,
more closely this time.  You should find that there's a means of adjusting
it (there were variations in this mechanism, depending on vintage; we don't
know whether yours is original to the camera).

But, unless you detect looseness in the following cam, I would leave that
be, and start with the mirror/prism optical path.

The very first thing you need to do, however, is to verify infinity with
the GG.

There is also the possibility that the RF had been calibrated for a
different focal length lens than the one currently on the camera.  If this
is the case, you will need to recalibrate, i.e. synchronize, the RF.  If
you visit Graflex.org, you'll find a link to a "how to" on that very
subject.

BTW, your lens is a rebadged Wollensak Raptar (successor to the Type II
Velostigmat), which is a fine tessar type.  The Wollensak equivalent to the
101/4.5 Ektar.  Capable of being every bit as good as the Kodak lens,
though Wollensak's quality control wasn't of the same calibre (nobody's
was, at that time), so YMMV.