[rollei_list] Re: 4x5

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 13:07:54 -0600

At 06:19 AM 12/31/2014, you wrote:

One of the other things I had wanted to try out in my copious free time (ha!), was shooting 4x5.

I inherited a Crown Graphic a few years ago and figured that would be the perfect platform with which to try it out. Not as fiddly as a view camera, but still allowing a basic minimum of movements and adjustments, as well as a slow way of working, focusing on the groundglass, etc. Small and light and easy to carry.

After pulling it out last night to familiarize myself with it, it turns out that it's a "Century Graphic", but unfortunately in 2x3 size, not 4x5. Oh well.

There was a rollfilm adapter included with is, as well as sheet film holders, but I don't see any point in fiddling with sheets in almost the same size as what I currently shoot (6x6, 2x3 is almost the same as 6x7cm), nor do 2x3 sheets seem readily available even if I did want to try it out.

For the time being, I'll stick with MF.

Hope everyone has a Happy New Year celebration!

Chhers,
Thor

Long ago, as a child just getting into serious photography, I wanted one of those press cameras and looked at all the ads for them in the magazines.

Now I realize it would have been a bad choice for my use.

I do remember once having a camera that used film packs, don't remember which camera, but it was the closest I ever came to cut film.

Well, actually I did cut some 35mm stock to use in a pinhole camera I made from a Hypodermic box from the drugstore where I worked. The box was about 4" long and 1X1.5" which allowed me to put a short piece of film in the back end. I actually took some pictures with it. In particular I remember climbing on top of the garage and shooting from there. It was a nice place to steady the "camera" for a long exposure. No idea what exposure I used but the negative did come out. At that time I was limited to a contact printer given to me by my dad so I probably never made a print of it.

Happy New Year,

DAW