[roc-chat] Re: Speed of Balsa

  • From: "JACK GARIBALDI" <jackgaribaldi@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 20:46:16 -0700

Jeff asked Steve Trammell how many flights he had on his rocket when the new
F32's came out I gave him a demo motor at the time.

Jack G
        From:  Jeff Gortatowsky <indanapt@xxxxxxxxx>
        To:  roc <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        Date:  05/08/2011 05:53 PM
        Subject:  [roc-chat] Speed of Balsa
        Sent by:  roc-chat-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  I know is a 'generalization' and there are many variables... but in general
any know what sort of acceleration or velocity makes one say,
  "Okay, 1/8 inch surface mounted fins are gonna shred."

  I realize the planform makes a big difference because of flutter. Just
curious because I been simulating some of my paper and balsa 24mm MMT rockets
using the newly cert'd CTI 24mm loads. The F240VM gets into the 800ft/sec
range! (For comparison an D15 is 230 and an E28 is about 450 ft/sec)

  Jeff Gortatowsky, Redondo Beach, CA | Twitter: JeffGortatowsky | Yahoo:
indanapt
  Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/jeffgortatowsky<http://www.facebook.com/jeffgortatowsky>

  "(Scientific) Skepticism is not a set of beliefs, it is a set of methods for
asking questions about reality." -- Doctor Steven Novella