[roc-chat] Re: Speed of Balsa

  • From: David Erbas-White <derbas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 May 2011 20:15:50 -0700

On 5/8/2011 5:53 PM, Jeff Gortatowsky wrote:

IMHO, much of it depends on how it is finished. I've occasionally used self-adhesive labeling paper layered onto the outside of balsa to strengthen it, to very good effect. Also, the type of material used for finishing makes a big difference -- balsa fillercoat doesn't add much strength, sanding sealer seems to add a lot (as the sealer seems to soak in and fill the pores more thoroughly). And as mentioned, the type of fillet (and adhesive used) will have a major bearing, as will the aerodynamic shape of the fin. I'm not sure there's any real hard-and-fast rule one can follow given all of these variables...

David Erbas-White

I know is a 'generalization' and there are many variables... but in general any know what sort of acceleration or velocity makes one say,
"Okay, 1/8 inch surface mounted fins are gonna shred."
I realize the planform makes a big difference because of flutter. Just curious because I been simulating some of my paper and balsa 24mm MMT rockets using the newly cert'd CTI 24mm loads. The F240VM gets into the 800ft/sec range! (For comparison an D15 is 230 and an E28 is about 450 ft/sec)