[roc-chat] Re: Fin Jig for Large Daimeter Airframes - 5.5 inch diameter or larger

  • From: "Lesnick, Mike" <mikel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 13:02:30 -0500

Joe,  Thanks, a picture would be great

Mike

Michael Lesnick

Axiom Healthcare Group

18135 Santa Lauretta Cir

Fountain Valley, CA 92708

714-594-5720 - Office Phone

714-323-5968 - Cell

714-968-7076 - Fax

MikeL@xxxxxxxxxxx

From: roc-chat-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:roc-chat-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of J Charles Conway
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 6:30 AM
To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [roc-chat] Re: Fin Jig for Large Daimeter Airframes - 5.5 inch
diameter or larger

For Mike Lesnick

Regarding a fin tool:

I have come up with a simple inexpensive method of holding the fins
straight and have now used

this method on airframes up to 10" in diameter.  I also make the same
type of tool to fit over the

motor tube so that I can fiberglass the base of the fin to the motor
tube for more strength before

assembling the fin section. One or two tools can be used depending on
the size/length of the fins.

These tools only cost a few $ each and are reusable.

To make the tool first cut a piece of  min 3/8 " Baltic Birch plywood so
that it is about 2x the total

spread of the fin outline.  Starting in the center draw fin slot lines
the exact width of the fins exactly

vertical and long enough  to slip over the fins.  Then cut out a very
accurate center hole to match

the size of the tube you are mounting the fins to. Next  cut out the fin
slots and add an additional

cut out at the base of the slots to allow the tool to slip off over
epoxy fillets that will be added at

the base of the fin when it is mounted. The tool is now ready to use.

For motor tube mounting place very accurate fin alignment lines on the
tube then slip the tool over

the tube to about 40% up the fin from the aft end. and then slip the
fins through the tool and carefully

align each with the fin line drawn earlier. Then 5 min epoxy the fin in
place being sure to that

all is properly aligned. The tool will hold the fin in that position
until the epoxy hardens.  Then fully

fiberglass the fin in place above the tool for each fin and let harden.
Lastly pull off the tool and

finish the fiberglass on the fin mounts.

So far I have ended up with exact positioned totally straight  fins
using this method

If you need a photo of one I take a pix for you.

- Joe C.   Email: joecc100@xxxxxxxxx

- Joe C.