[roc-chat] Re: Fin Jig for Large Daimeter Airframes - 5.5 inch diameter or larger

  • From: J Charles Conway <joecc100@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 06:30:06 -0800 (PST)

For Mike Lesnick

Regarding a fin tool:

I have come up with a simple inexpensive method of holding the fins straight
and have now used
this method on airframes up to 10" in diameter.  I also make the same type of
tool to fit over the
motor tube so that I can fiberglass the base of the fin to the motor tube for
more strength before
assembling the fin section.One or two tools can be used depending on the
size/length of the fins.
These tools only cost a few $ each and are reusable.

To make the tool first cut a piece of  min 3/8 " Baltic Birch plywood so that
it is about 2x the total
spread of the fin outline.  Starting in the center draw fin slot lines the
exact width of the fins exactly
verticalandlong enough  to slipoverthe fins.  Then cut out a very accurate
center hole tomatch
thesize of the tubeyou aremounting the fins to. Next  cut out the fin slots and
add anadditional
cutout at the baseof the slots to allow the tool to slip off over epoxy fillets
that will be added at
the baseof the fin when it is mounted. Thetool isnow ready to use.

For motor tube mounting place very accurate fin alignment lines on the tube
then slip the tool over
the tube to about 40% up the fin from the aft end. and then slip the fins
through the tool and carefully
align each with the fin line drawn earlier. Then 5 minepoxy the fin in place
being sure to that
all is properly aligned. The tool will hold the fin in that position  until the
epoxy hardens.  Then fully

fiberglass the fin in place above the tool for each fin and let harden.  Lastly
pull off the tool and
finish the fiberglass on the fin mounts.

So far I have ended up with exact positioned totally straight  fins using this
method

If you need a photo of one I take a pix for you.

- Joe C.   Email: joecc100@xxxxxxxxx

- Joe C.