[retroforth] Re: Code Library

  • From: Chris Walton <chris.r.walton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: retroforth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 21:20:14 -0800

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 21:38:53 -0500, Charles Childers
<charles.childers@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> RetroForth 8 will be including a significantly expanded code library.
> The library code is organized in blockfiles of 32k (Retro8 has 64
> 512-byte blocks per file). A few things are already in place or are
> being worked on:
>
> * Editor extensions
> * Compiler extensions
> * Interactive editor tutorial
> * 386 Assembler from comp.lang.forth
> * String words (zero and counted)
> * Syscalls for Linux
>
> I'll be doing system interface blockfiles for Windows and FreeBSD too.
> I'm curious to know what other things you want in the expanded code
> library, and what things you'd like in each blockfile. What extensions
> to the compiler should I write? Which syscalls should be wrapped? And
> so on.
>
> Also how should the library be organized? Right now everything is in a
> "lib" directory. How should further directories be laid out, and where
> should things go in the library tree?

One thing that might be interesting to note: I heard or read that you
can name certain blocks or somehting, so maybe have them load the
blocks, and introduce the word "rload" which takes a signed number,
adds it to the current block, and loads the resulting block (a
relative load). That way, you don't have to worry about where to put
things, its trivial to implement, small, and ... well, I like it. You
can organize your blocks however you want instead of being bound by
the writers decisions, which will ultimately cause conflicts.

I'd like to see an extension which loads SDL and provides graphics,
and one that does network stuffs. Also, a cooperative multitasking one
would be nice as well.

--
I F34R N0N3 F0R F0RTH SH4LL GUID3 M3