[retrochallenge] Re: [retrochallenge 2005 ] score sheet?

  • From: Michaël Juneau <micjuneau@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: retrochallenge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:54:44 -0400

Byron Q. Desnoyers Winmill wrote:

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 11:42:37PM +1000, David Shepherd wrote:

I was also
thinking of reducing the creative challenge to one challenge, where
people can enter anything made on or for an old computer.

I disagree on this. It may look prettier right now, but that's only because the participation base is too small at the moment. I think the endurance and creative competitions can be separate, two independant parts of what we're trying to achieve with this mailing list. They could have different lengths, which would help a lot in the coding portion. They could be held every x months (maybe annual for the endurance, and semi-annual for the coding, length = 2 or 3 months - I dunno, just throwing up some numbers in the air).

I was also thinking of running a minichallenge on the week between
christmas and new years, in an effort to promote the main challenge
in July.

I like the idea.

Yes, there are only six people who bothered to fill in the entry
forms. There are, however, 20 people subscribed to this list. If
those other 16 people feel like commenting on why they didn't bother
entering, please bring your issues forward so that it can be improved
next year.

That definitely came as a surprise to me. I thought I'd be running up against masters of coding. I guess the publicity didn't work as much as we thought it would, in other forums. Was C64 Lemon contacted with this? I know that this particular community is VERY active in coding new games and they often enter similar contests.