[retrochallenge] Re: [retrochallenge 2005 ] score sheet?

  • From: Cory Wiegersma <cory5412@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: retrochallenge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 00:13:18 -0700

You're right, cory went and did other things. I think he cleaned his room that month. Sad, but true. The LC and the 475 ended up at the bottom of the desk below the Octane. Cory's 475 just couldn't live up to the trail of success that the 840av left. (well, until it died). the 840av was simply better at everything (having had twice the memory, thrice the hard disc space, etc etc, I surely hope it was good!)

the 475 was almost useable when I had 36 megs of memory in it, but I was required to reduce it to 8 megs without going back to OS 7, so that I could ertain some of my apps...

I think that that point (second or third day of July) was when it died to me.

Sadly.

Oh, and sorry for replying in the wrong spot of the "thread" of discussion. Seemed like a logical spot though.

However, I will still be doing the MLAgazine Issue 3 (later than planned though), featuring retrochallange... pending the articles from Byron,(I think) and anything that anybody else wants to submit.

Have fun!

~Cory Wiegersma
On Aug 11, 2005, at 7:29 AM, Byron Q. Desnoyers Winmill wrote:

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 11:42:37PM +1000, David Shepherd wrote:
I entered, with my semi-borked PB180c. I even submitted the online
score sheet thingy. And i know Cory entered as well, so thats 8....

Actually, Cory did not enter. He went off and did other things with these fancy new computers. <sniff>

Mike McElfresh Amiga ?

Macintosh Classic. Others? I know he has Amigas, Apple IIs, and a PDP clone, among others.

Byron Winmill       Amiga ?
Byron Q Desnoyers - Macintosh Performa LC III (I believe right?)

I am only one person! I used a Macintosh Colour Classic with an LC 575 mainboard upgrade. I also used an SE/30. It is also quite possible that I used an Amiga 500, but that would have been on a day when I used a machine which owned a lower multiplier (so I didn't keep track of it).

Simon Williams Apple II. (music)
Michael Juneau - Macintosh (game called Extreme Knitting Challenge)

Neither person Entered the Endurance or the online challenge.

As I said before, the one thing I would like to do next year is to have more communication and a daily updating scoreboard.

More communication is a must, daily score updates is high on the priority list (that would, hopefully, help to stimulate discussion). I was thinking of easing the rule so that you only had to use a qualifying computer for, say, an hour a day and it would not be to the exclusion of using qualifying computers (I know that reduces the "challenge" aspect, but we only had six entries). I was also thinking of reducing the creative challenge to one challenge, where people can enter anything made on or for an old computer.

I was also thinking of running a minichallenge on the week between
christmas and new years, in an effort to promote the main challenge
in July.

And I know we had more than just six. Common.. even people who only half did, or did it for a day. I would like to know those too.

Yes, there are only six people who bothered to fill in the entry forms. There are, however, 20 people subscribed to this list. If those other 16 people feel like commenting on why they didn't bother entering, please bring your issues forward so that it can be improved next year.