[python] steering

  • From: mtb@xxxxxxx
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 10:03:27 -0700

Hi,

Over the weekend I noticed that I might have "learned" the opposite of Jurgen's
steer technique: I usually steer with my hands - when I let go and try to use
just my hips, I nearly lose control. I'm trying to learn the hips-only feel,
but it is a motion counter to using the handlebars. When I take my hands off,
it's like my hips want to do the exact opposite of what is rally needed.

Relatedly, I also tried putting the high handlebars
(see http://rjs.org/gallery/python_2.jpg)
back on for one spin. Even though I am used to steering with my hands, it was
not controllable - the motion is too side-to-side. Ironically, it seemed to be
a motion that coincided with the required hip motion, which I don't have down
yet. Maybe if I learned to use the bars that way I could ride no-hands also.
I think that the stem would have to be much longer and bring the bars in line
with the pivot to seem near "normal". I'll try that too.

Ray