[python] splitable pivot

  • From: Olaf Johansson <noll@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 21:28:24 +0100

Dirk and I are building on a 16" foldable recumbent based on the python principles of negative steering angle. By and large it will be a smaller copy of Dirk's (now almost world famous) 20" bike.

http://dirkb.dnsalias.net/python.html

I need a foldable because railway companies here in Sweden still are at stone age level and do not allow you to bring bikes on trains (except in the most southern part of the country).

My plan is to sneak the bike onboard as luggage.

The bike will probably not be foldable but instead splitable. And the most practical place to split it is at the pivot. Embarking a crowded train with a swinging front part could be dangerous even if it is wrapped up in a soft bag. This way I also would save some weight not having to build another joint.

Attached is a sketch of how this splitable pivot could be designed. I appreciate any comments and feedback from you all!

Olaf

GIF image