[python] Re: splitable pivot

  • From: Jürgen Mages <jmages@xxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 11:02:53 +0100

After the current python project is finished to my satisfaction, I am going
to build another

25hz, it seems you prefer building to riding ;-)

but I am going to use pillow block roller bearings.

Similar to the attached ones? Can one split the housing in halves?

and the best part, they are tapered like wheel bearings on cars

For my P4 I used car wheel roller bearings. I got them for free from the junk yard. They are indestructible and easy to build in, if you have access to a lathe.

The bushing solution was simple, fast and inexpensive, BUT, the
bushings will not last like ball bearings would because the load
isn't in the direction that bushings seem to be designed for.

Now, finally some practical experience!

On a trike, this procudes tight and sometimes "sticky" steering -
which is not necessarily a big deal because it can always be
muscled through by using the handlebars. That same tightness
on a python, I think, might make smooth, small corrections very
tough to do.

The "break loose momentum" of bushings within handlebars steering should be more disturbing, because the lever arm of the leg steered python is much longer and the legs are much stronger. Hope s.o. gives that idea a try some day.