[python] Re: splitable pivot

  • From: "25hz" <25hz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 22:00:58 -0500

No, no, I love to ride the bent, it's just that me and Canadian winter cold
do not mix.  My "old bones" don't like the cold anymore.  I made rollers and
ride my trike every noon hour but I've only done about 400 km so far this
winter.  We just moved into a new house with a bigger garage so all my tools
and bike parts are still in boxes.  I also need to do some insulating before
I can comfortably work in the garage in the cold weather.  So for now, I'll
have to carry on noon hour, indoor riding, as the amount of snow and the
temperature prohibits anything else.

I always have about 4 or 5 tikes/bents in the planning stage so am always
looking to build the next one.

As for the bearings, yeah, the ones I'm going to use are the bearings used
in the pillow block on the left hand side of the picture.  The actual block
doesn't split, and it looks like you drive out the old worn bearings, and
press the new ones in.  I'll know better when I get a better look at them.
The actual bearing part is only about $5 Cdn, so much less expensive than
precision sets, bigger, and hopefully stronger.

The high molecular density plastic used for some of the bushings is
considerably tougher and longer wearing than the brass ones, and it's pretty
cheap as well.  I can get 40 feet of 1 inch plastic rod for $1.50 a foot,
delivered.  The 1" long sintered bushings I'm using are $1.50 each, so I
could make about 7 or 8 HMD plastic bushings for the same cost as one
sintered one (ignoring my time and electricity costs for the lathe).  I
think the increased durability would pay for time and effort, plus the
flanged bushing shape is very simple and very fast to make.