[python] Re: Lean disturbances (and Dirk's code)

  • From: mtb@xxxxxxx
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 00:48:58 -0800

At 09:16 PM 3/1/2005 +0100, you wrote:

That is very helpful. Maybe the "almost stable" regions should have
yellow color in the graph.

How about cyan? http://rjs.org/Python/FrameGeometry.zip

I did some more reading tonight, and from Hand: "the E criteria is proportional to the steering moment exerted in a normal steady turn", and small negative E can be compensated for simply by subtle rider correction. So, I allowed E to go a little negative by their guidelines, and in line with my touring bike experience.
I also added a fudge-factor for steering K (spring) which can also be easily provided by the rider. The results of these two are colored cyan in the chart and agree well with my two bikes.
It would be good to see how the flevo looks with it.
I added some supposedly-stable pythons' config files.

I'm not sure I can do anything more without going back to my original plan, to do a motion integration code using basic forces. I'll build a bike first...

What might also be viable is a thickly greased bushing instead of a bearing, like a telescope or camera head, to dampen high speed oscillation, but allow the legs to make the slower turns. I thought that I had read that someone had tried a damper of some sort?

Ray