[python] Re: positive trail scetches

  • From: "Dirk Jan Luiting" <djl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 23:46:59 +0200

Thanks for your reply, Jürgen.

> you just re-invented the 4-bar-linkage steering system,
> that Michael Rienstra from California proposed about one
> year ago.

So it seems, fantastic it has been done, thoug not followed through?
i updated my sketch 2 because i already was thinking further than that concept,
http://www.nupi.nl/index.php?id=04c30e76af
(although it was allready changed in my cardboard experiment)

i recognise the problem of the frontwheel not being able to move between your
legs.
(when you create a virtual steering axle, the wheel touches your inner thighs)

what i propose is a double steering function.
the first (little) bit the wheel moves outward, but after that its good old
python steering.

> Michael even built a prototype that he called "Vython":
>
> http://www.python-lowracer.de/pics/Michael_Rienstra_Vython.jpg
>
> Later he run out of time, energy, money or motivation and so
> we do not know the result of his experiments. Hope he did
> survive the test ridings ;-)

sorry he is not posting right now, i would love to see some feedback from him
hope he is still out there :-)

> The virtual steering pivot surely would produce positive trail,
> resulting in a Tom Traylor style geometry. The steering system
> to me seems quite complex and vulnerable.

are there any pictures/descriptions online?

> Also I am still wondering if a pivot axis that is not going
> through the hips causes steering/pedalling perturbances.

interesting you mention this.
maybe i should sketch,
but the moment you induce by pressing the pedals is the same,
no matter how far you sit from the pivot point.
or virtual pivot point.

the benefit of the python design is (i think, never rode one),
that you are able to compensate for the moment, or even zero the moment induced
by pushing the pedals.

because the pivot is placed so far from your feet,
you are able to set force on the pedals as if coming from the pivot itself,
and so zeroing out the moment.
(a force coming from the center steering pivot axle will not result in steering)
as you push the pedals you push slightly outward.

yes this will be an issue with the unconventional steering with virtual
steeringpoint,
close to the feet, inducing a moment hard to compensate by pushing slightly
outward.

my bike suffers from that.

btw, i browsed a bit in the forum, what a wealth of infos there is!!
its good that you try to summarise.