[python] Re: Python Projects Survey

  • From: olaf <noll@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:13:13 +0100

On Monday, November 15, 2004, at 03:30 PM, Jürgen Mages wrote:

Olaf, how about your article about
center-steered recumbents in the
swedish HPV magazine?

A well motivated question that is. Already in the end of summer it stood clear that I wouldn't be able to build up energy enough to make the magazine the way I intended. From previous issues I had drawn the conclusion there is too much work involved in making a printed magazine if you want it to look good and be well edited.

So I got the idea to make a CD-ROM instead. Initially the idea boosted my energy and I began editing film clippings and articles, translating texts, optimising photographs and putting them into albums and building the content into a HTML-environment so readers would be able to enjoy everything through their browsers.

Well, for months I have not had energy or lust enough to finish it. My mood started to drop when I discovered that there was not going to be as many article contributions as I had calculated on. Among the lacking texts were articles about centre steered recumbents. The theme of this issue would not hold unless I began writing more articles myself. Also technical things like film formats and linkage structure made the work more complicated than I had anticipated.

My feeling that HPV Sweden is a sleeping organisation or perhaps even in a state of coma does not make things easier. Very few initiatives or ideas are being born here. It is not a creative and stimulating environment which you feel eager to contribute to.

Today a huge mental threshold is keeping me from concluding the CD-ROM project. This in combination with an increased amount of work and the lust for spending as much as possible of my spare time outside away from the computer have all increased the delay. I am not all happy with this since at least a few people are actually waiting for the CD to be finished. So I guess I will try to rap it up in a much less elaborate fashion than intended just to get the load of my shoulders. I have already told my friends in the organisation that I will no longer take future responsibility for making our national HPV-magazine. It is fun, yes. But not fun enough.

Hope I don't sound too depressed and gloomy. And I hope I am not discouraging anyone out there from taking initiatives and promoting ideas because that is exactly what is needed in the HPV-society. My distress is only a temporary setback probably due to my own unreasonable expectations. Being modest is the way to go!

Best regards to you all, olaf

Regards from Jürgen.