[python] Python Projects Survey

  • From: Jürgen Mages <jmages@xxxxxx>
  • To: "Python Malinglist" <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:21:05 +0100

Hi folks,

two years have past since my first experiments of
developing a new recumbent design.
Time for some survey and contemplation.

The first result is, that I have found my (so far) all-time
favorite bike which has materialized as "Python P3" in
April 2004. Since then I have used it almost everyday for
commuting and recreation (4000km).

In my hometown Erlangen there are two more pythons in use.
Eveline rides P1, the still existing first prototype and Peter
his P2, which is still unfinished and incomplete but reasonably
rideable.
The fourth python (a 24" version) which I built for my daughter
is still incomplete and 2 cm too long for her. We have to wait
until next year. To me, P4 is the most beautiful creation so far.
It is the first that uses tapered roller bearings for the steering
pivot.

There are other projects known from the mailinglist:

- Laurent Dechenne from Belgium
- Torben Scheel from Denmark
- Jürgen Maier from Germany
- Alain Branca from Corsica
- Euardo LP jr from Brazil
- Michael Rienstra from California
- Mike Channon from Canada
- Burket Kniveton from California
- Stefan Knorr from Germany
- Scott Rose from Washington

It would be informative and helpful if these builders,
write us some words about their project status, new
building or riding experiences and their future plans.

@Torben: I saw that you have updated your blog
http://www.scheel.net/HPV/Python/default.asp
Do you think that the 30x10 tubing that you used
for parts of your frame is too weak?

Greetings to you all,