[python] Re: Front suspension update

  • From: Steffen Risse <big.skangster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 22:39:16 +0100

Hey Vi,

the handle bars may help but it's still a big lever on a small point. But
never mind. Dirk is right with his answer and also showed another good
option. But I didn't found a nice way to bring the flevo design in the low
profile python frame. With my 3 sketches I wanted to show the influence of
damping on the bottom bracket and the other way round while pedaling (pdi =
pedal damping influence). I had no time to write all my comments earlier as
I made the sketch at work.

Laszlos design is a simple solution, but has a big and very noticeable pdi.

In the flevo design the bb rises up and moves down together with the seat
(just like the normal python) and brings a suspension on top. But still
there is the possibility of a noticeable pdi if the chain forces the
suspension to move up when the center point isn't in line with the chain
(like the first single pivot mountain bikes).

If you use your design with 2 pivots (one on top and one at the wheel axle)
like I drawed then the system gets much stiffer and stable. The movement of
the bb depends on the dimensions of the links (it may can move up or down
or stay still) and so also the pdi depends on this levers.

The third design I drawed is a typical parallel linkage and I think it's a
nice option for a python like design to have high stiffness, small pdi and
a high weight saving potential. the pdi again depends a lot on the
dimensions of the links. The frame may shortens a bit while damping. Had no
time to try it yet as I'm allready working hard on a folding python trike.
(Maybe I shoult integrate it?)

regards,
steffen