[pure-silver] Re: silica gel

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 11:12:06 -0500

At 06:53 PM 11/1/2004 , you wrote:

>Somebody gave me some dessicant packages today with silica gel inside
>them, and told me they would work if I dried them out some.  I put
>them in the microwave and they caught on fire!  What would have been
>a better way to dry them out?  Also, where can I get new ones?
>Somebody said a drug store, but I've never seen them there.
>
>--shannon

nov204 from Lloyd Erlick,

I've seen silica gel sold in kilogram plastic jugs in the supermarket cat
food and litter shelves. (In Canada, I've seen it at Loblaws and No Frills
stores, in yellow and black labelled containers.) It's sold as an odor
absorber to put in cat litter boxes. To use it for our purposes, just wrap
a handful of it in barbecue weight aluminum foil and bake in the oven, low
heat. For use just poke holes or partly unwrap. One cat litter size jug of
the stuff looks like a lifetime supply to me.

I've heard of people baking silica gel since I first started buying surplus
junk (bad habit). And I've seen metal cans of silica gel from who knows how
long before I was born, printed with the advice to bake it in the oven to
dry it. So I doubt anything comes out of it into the oven when it's heated.
But don't forget, my legal staff advise you never to take my advice.

regards,
--le