[pure-silver] Re: silica gel

  • From: "Edward C. Zimmermann" <edz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 08:58:18 +0100

Quoting Eric Maquiling <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On 11/02 01:29, DarkroomMagic wrote:
> > That's what I do, not knowing how healthy that is.
> >
> > (I do it when my wife is not watching. She wouldn't be happy. She hates
> when
> > I microwave my FB test strips in there.)
>
> Why would it be unhealthy?  Just crank up the oven to like 200 for a few

This reminds me of the farmer who said of his vegetables after the April 1986
Chernobyl nuclear disaster: "I'll just cook those atoms out".

We are not talking about germs or bacteria.

In the case of Sileca gel its harmless-- and what one can with a good mind
do and, in fact, the procedure-- but its not a good general practice. The
oven should, I think, be nearly taboo. We need to recall that we are
working with substances like metals in our darkrooms (like Silver, Gold,
Selenium, Chrome, Barium) and also substances that pyrolyse into nasty things
so I'd be more conscious about just "cranking the oven up"... You need to
clean things.  Heck even to kasher an oven you need to first completely clean
it after its sits for over a day and then (a clean oven) run it at the
highest temperature (much more than 200 C) for a few hours.

I'd suggest that its not a good idea to mix food preperation with print
preperation and would draw a distinct line. While film can share room in
the fridge with food I'd suggest "sharing" the oven, sinks, dishwasher,
glassware etc. crosses the line. Sure if we "know what we are doing" it can
be safe BUT it also lowers the tolerance threshold to mistakes and increases
potential risks.

Wifes that are not happy with those that "cross the line" have good reasons
for their reservations.

> minutes to kill anything.  Or to be safe, crank it up to 500 for a few
> minutes.
> (when you are done with the silica gel that is)
>
> --
> Eric

Edward C. Zimmermann, Basis Systeme netzwerk, Munich