[pure-silver] Re: selenium meter in the sun

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2015 17:51:12 -0700

The Luna Pro is not a selenium meter. I've forgotten what kind of cell it has, I think Cds. It needs a battery which no Selenium meter does. At very low light levels the cell has very slow response time. My Luna Pro, which I just tested, takes a good minute or more to settle at the bottom of the high range. When given some time the low end of the high range reads exactly the same as the high end of the low range (12).
Selenium meters that are getting aged will have an error of around a stop or more for the same light level on the two ranges with the top of the low range tending to read low. This also shows up when comparing the high end of the high range against a good meter, it reads low. The meters seem to develop about a one stop error which remains costant for a long time. Eventually they become very insensitive all over.
BTW, I learned a trick with the Weston Master: These sometimes become intermittent or read quite low. The cure is often to clean the internal contacts by pushing in on the cell window and rotating back and forth several times. Has worked for me a few times.
GE meters seem to have cell problems on all versions. Same with the original Norwood Director. The Sekonic version seems to be better. I don't know if Sekonic still makes replacement cells but in any case they are the wrong size for the Norwood meter.
Try your Luna Pro again but give it a couple of minutes to settle.

On 7/8/2015 4:40 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

On 07/08/2015 06:35 PM, `Richard Knoppow wrote:
The test is to measure light that falls in the overlap range on both ranges.
My experience - even with really good meters like Luna Pros - is that they do
NOT match across ranges when the value is at the extreme end of the low range.
These meters are most accurate when they are around mid-deflection of the
needle.
They are highly nonlinear at the ends.

I say this having just completed cleaning, overhauling, adjusting, etc. a
couple of Luna Pros and a Luna Six.

WB6KBL