[pure-silver] Re: photography teachers top 3

  • From: Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 12:03:56 -0400

Hi,

When people realize I am a photographer, I get similar questions concerning the operation of their digital cameras. My response is always the same, "Read the manual" or bring me the manual and I'll explain whatever it is you are looking for; I cannot be expected to know, nor do I want to know, the functioning of every digital camera in existence. In passing, having seen enough manuals to last me a life time, I would suggest that the companies try writing manuals that can be understood by the average person. They just assume that that everybody has already done "Camera 401" ;)

Cheers,
Bogdan

nicolas wrote:

snip

 Too often
I am faced with tiny digital cameras with half a dozen
buttons and menus a mile deep all displayed with
enigmatic symbols that may or may not represent tiny
people running off into the mountains screaming.  I
often have to say to people things like "There is
probably a setting for controlling depth of field
somewhere in the menus of your camera, it may be
called aperture or depth of field, you may need to
look for a mode called manual with a setting called F,
but perhaps the action or landscape modes might be the
answer, etc ..."

Its all good fun though.

Nicolas

--- Dave Valvo <dvalvo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My top three are
1. Look before you shoot.  Is there a better angle?
2. Look at what else is in your view frame you don't
want
3. Are you sure you looked?  Look again.

Canon body with L glass?    The others won't know
the difference. Most will feel sorry for you. Can't put it in your pocket!

Dave
----- Original Message ----- From: Mark Blackwell To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 11:19 PM
 Subject: [pure-silver] photography teachers top 3

 For those that teach photography, Im just
interested in some new techinques.  For that matter
you don't have to teach, just have an opinion. There are several things that I believe are often missed when the subject of photography is taught. Rather than a David Letterman Top Ten list, how
about we just keep it to the top three.  What are
your top 3 that are either missed all together, or
people you come in contact with just seem to not
understand.

 My personal pet peeve is that EVERY student
whether they want it or not needs some experience
with film, both color and black and white.  Don't
get me wrong digital is a wonderful tool and I use
it just like almost everyone else here, but I have
found film to be a much better teacher.

 I have decided to do something rather unique.  I
am going to a CVS photography course this Sunday. Thats right the drugstore is teaching photography. I am just going to keep quiet and see just what
happens.  In a week or two I am curious as to the
look I might get if I walk in with a Canon body with
L glass on the front. LOL
 Also if there are other photographers out there
that would like to trade links, drop me a not off
list.  Im always looking for new resources and links
to improve my site as well.

 Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car"
smell?
Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

  Bogdan Karasek
  Montréal, Québec                     bogdan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx