[pure-silver] Re: photography teachers top 3

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 05:34:12 -0700

Theres a quote I like from someone called Harrison which I misremember from the
leica manual:
"Proficiency in small format photography comes from practice not expenditure"
Another one which gives me much solace is from Robert Doisneau "The first
10,000 photographs will not be particularly good..."
And finally from Feynman: "Why should you care what somebody else thinks".

Personally I tend to ignore the first and think that with just one more piece
of kit will do it, one the second quote I'm convinced that he got a decimal
place wrong and I have high hopes that I'll start getting good results around
the 100,000 photograph mark, and as for the last I remain consistently
astonished at which of my photographs other people like. In this context I
think an interesting exercise is to hand a bunch of photographs to someone else
and as they go through them note which ones they pause on for longer than five
seconds.

All the best
Larry Cuffe