[pure-silver] Re: negative scratches/Edwal No-Scratch

  • From: Snoopy <snoopy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 08:31:13 +0200

At 22:46 07.05.2005, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Anyway, I put Edwal No-Scratch on the negative (on the
>backing side, not the emulsion side), and this did
>indeed eliminate the scratches. However, I have been
>unable to spread the No-Scratch evenly enough so as
>not to get little liquid ridges and bubbles that ruin
>the prints.

Dear John,

I use the stuff made by Tetenal: they recommend that you clean and then=20
immerse the whole negative in the varnish using tweezers. I take a smaller=
=20
Muesli bowl, put the varnish in that and then pull the entire stip of=20
negatives through the varnish.

Then I let the varnish drip off over a corner, back into the bowl. Hanging=
=20
up to dry means kind of horizontal, so the varnish will collect on the=20
films sprocket hole or at least outside the image area of the film, you do=
=20
not want uneven thickness of varnish over the image area. So I take three=20
clothes pins and use those to hang the negative strip and three on the=20
bottom to keep things flat.

Seems to work for me. Do most of this in a well-ventilated area, I don=B4t=
=20
know about the Edwal stuff, but the Tetenal stuff produces heavy vapours=20
which will give you a full anaestetic if you inhale too much :-)

BTW I always thought the nose grease resp Vaseline trick was for the=20
emulsion side only if that side is scratsched?
Love
Snoopy=20