[pure-silver] Re: large format photography books

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 18:51:18 -0700

Baseball and football were often covered using a "big bertha", a 5x7 home portrait Graflex with a 1/2000th shutter and fitted with a 36 inch lens on a long extension barrel. They were huge but could get detail in the outfield. Press cameras were often used for boxing matches at ringside. This was around the time that Western Union sent telegraph operators to ringside for the press associations. They sent blow-by-blow via telegraph to subscribers. Telegraphers were also at baseball and football games.
A wire finder will match any lens with a normal exit pupil put on the camera. Will not work for telephoto or reverse telephoto lenses. I think you meant rangefinder.
The rangefinder on a Technika will work with a variety of lenses but does need a custom cam for each. There are instructions about how to make a cam on the web. Usually the cam was held in the back of the lensboard by a clip. The cam does have to be matched to a specific lens beause lenses of the same type and focal length are all slightly different.
Some late Graphic cameras, those with a rangefinder on the top, also had interchangeable cams. The old type Kalart RF had to be aligned for a single lens and would work only for that lens. Here again, it would be accurate for only one lens and might need slight adjustment for another lens of the same make and focal length.
If you are using the camera principally as a view camera you don't need a range finder or any kind of optical finder. Its just that the Technika is such a nice one-size-fits-all camera that i would want all the goodies on it.
I do use auxilliary lenses on my Speed Graphic and have several to fit. I use the ground glass for these. They work OK as a view camera if you don't need much in the way of movements. The Technika is way ahead here because it has pretty much full movements and also a revolving back. The focal plane shutter on the Speed Graphic is useful for some lenses without shutters but one can get along without it very well (as the song lyric says).
BTW, the artistic convention of showing a racing car with its wheels oval shaped and leaning in the direction of motion, in fact the whole car slanting, is an artifact of the focal plane shutter. An FP shutter running vertically from top to bottom of the camera will produce this effect when used at high speed with a narrow slit. If you think about the motion of the image you will understand. The entire image is not photographed at the same time so the car will have moved a little during the time the shutter is working.

On 4/25/2019 6:01 PM, mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I didn't get the wire frame for this one reason.  I read that the cams were LENS specific.
--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx