[pure-silver] Re: large format photography books

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2019 17:24:29 -0700

Regarding flash. Don't know where this came from. Shutters made before about 1945 did not have internal synchronizers. Typically, press camera size shutters used an external "solenoid" synchronizer. These are electro-magnets designed to trip the shutter. The delay of the solenoid and shutter are adjusted to get the shutter open at the peak of the flashbulb intensity. There were other types of sychronizers, mostly mechanical devices which were screwed into the cable release.
Shutters with built-in synchronizers are considerably more reliable. Some, like Kodak, had a separate gear type timer for the flash. These needed to be cocked separately from the shutter, others, like Compur had flash delays which were automatically cocked along with the shutter. Its possible to modify many older shutters to provide X synch. This is zero delay synch for strobe flash. Usually accomplished by mounting a contact on the shutter actuating ring. The Kodak shutter has both kinds.
Synch shutters up to quite large sizes were made by Ilex, the big ones are all X synch but can be used with bulbs by using "open flash" and a slow shutter speed. The bulb goes off as the shutter reaches full opening but at slower speeds it will stay open long enough to allow the full application time of the flash to work. Very large bulbs were intended to be used in studio reflectors with open flash, i.e., the shutter is opened in B and the flash set off with a switch. No motion stopping. These very large bulbs emit an enormous amount of light. A method often used for architectural photography. This is also the method used for flash powder.
Of course any shutter with either a B or T setting can be used for open flash including Packard shutters, some of which have an X contact built in.
I think my LF books are all in storage. There is some basic information in the series "Graphic Graflex Photography" published in many editions for about two decades.
On 4/22/2019 5:05 PM, (Redacted sender msampson45 for DMARC) wrote:

I'll second Mr. Kiss' suggestions. I'll also suggest the book by Steve Simmons, "Using the View Camera" or something like that. (My copy is long gone.)
As far as flash goes, your lens should have a flash terminal... regular PC, bi-post, or perhaps the Kodak/ASA 'bayonet' connector. Paramount still sells cords and adaptors for all of these.
best
Mark

--
Richard Knoppow