[pure-silver] Re: large format photography books

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2019 12:22:35 -0700

ABE is American Book Dealer's Association. They are essentially a broker for independent book stores. Amazon does something very similar. I've gotten books from both and have been generally satisfied. I do some historical research in early radio and electronics. I also have collected photography books for many years. A lot of the publications I want are on line as free downloads but sometimes I prefer having a real, hard copy, book. There are no longer any used book stores locally so the on line sources are about the best I can do. I have an account at Amazon and at ABE. I have not used the ABE one for a while but for Amazon I use PayPal. I just bought a book there recently (on the history of Marconi). I also buy books at the local public library book stores. These are donated books and the sales help support the library. They are very cheap. I have found some good hardback classics but I am also addicted to detective stories, which are my sleeping pills. Most of the library sale books are 50c or a dollar. Rarely technical books.
I have Stroebel's book and also recommend it. However, the truth is that there is not that much to know about view cameras. The essentials are covered in the basics of optics and a little practice and experimentation will discover more.
I have too many books and have to store some of them. Not good for reading nor good for the books. I think I will become a donor to the library sales pretty soon. To paraphrase a James Thurber line:
Q, Doctor, I have too many books
A, I can't tell if you are complaining or bragging.

(original about cats)

On 4/23/2019 12:00 PM, Laurence Cuffe (Redacted sender cuffe for DMARC) wrote:

Les Stroebel's VIEW CAMERA TECHNIQUE vi

Les Stroebels view camera technique. I would also put in a vote for Abbes books which was invaluable when I was doing research for a book on camera shutters which I have yet to complete. If you read that one book, cover to cover you will be well on your way.
Best regards
Laurence Cuffe

--
Richard Knoppow