[pure-silver] Re: holga focus - and green goo

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 21:16:13 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bogdan Karasek" <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2007 11:23 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: holga focus - and green goo

Hi all,

I just wanted to clear on one thing. When you mention "naphta", you are referring to lighter fluid? If so, is there one brand that is better for our kind of usage than other brands. What's good for my ZIPPO isn't necessarily good for my shutter. I had some old dial set Compur shutters that were kinda sticky. If getting them out of their mount was a problem, (esp on 120 folders) then I would detach the bellows and remove the optical elements and stick the front standard into a bowl of lighter fluid and leave it for the day. Evaporation is a problem so doing it in the day, you could check periodically and add. Then let it dry.

Cheers,
Bogdan
Naptha is the same as lighter fluid. Lighter fluid is more expensive than buying naptha at the hardware store. I'm not sure of the purity of either but Ronsonol seems not to leave any residue. If you can find pure isopropyl alcohol it should probably also be used as a second solvent or rinse (not mixed together). I've been able to get 99+% isopropyl at Long's Drugs locally although they don't always have it, and Fry's, the big computer store. I suspect a lot iof computer or electronics places have it. Long's Drugs was cheaper. This is also what Kodak currently recommends for cleaning the _emulsion_ side of film. Trichlor has become very difficult to obtain although its a better cleaner and non-inflamable.

---