[pure-silver] Re: holga focus - and green goo

  • From: "Dana H. Myers" <dana.myers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 17:37:22 -0800

Richard Knoppow wrote:

There is a pretty good charcoal lighter consisting of a sort of tin can with a space at the bottom for kindling in the form of crumpled up newspaper. You load the charcoal in the top. Takes it about ten minutes to get the stuff going good. I hate the odor of charcoal lighter fluid and swear I can taste it. Anyway, its not needed.

You're talking about a chimney starter, the best kind.  I find
that the newspaper lights best when started with a propane torch :-)
I've been using chimney starters for, uh, a long time.  In my
Weber Smokey Mountain, a proper smoker, I don't even use a
chimney since I got a DigiQ II from http://www.thebbqguru.com/ ;
I just start one or two chunks of charcoal with a propane torch
and let the DigiQ take care of  the rest.  It's novel to load
the smoker up, start it, and ignore it for hours while it
cooks right at 250F or so.

I took a picture of my smoker with TMY once, just to get us
sort of back on topic.

Dana